Thursday 4 December 2014

Winter Project - Player picking up Notes

An important part of the narrative development within a game is the ability to relay the setting and/or reveal the plot to the player. There are many tools too do this with and I don't pretend to know how and when these different ones should be applied. However I decided to try my hand at this at least to a small extent.

I decided to settle on a note system where the player could pick up notes as they advance through the level. Each note would give hints as to the story line and how it could be progressed. I started with a set of prefab scripts that I had located and started digging into the code changing it to suit my needs and so I could understand. To be honest the code itself is not that complex, yet the functionality of it seems to be a bit dodgy. With the notes being particularly hard to actually open. This may be to the fact I have not locked the mouse in unity yet so the camera is having a hard time with the actual ray casts hitting the collider to let the code know the player is looking at the book/note.
Player sees table/props

Player looks at book - book is highlighted

Player presses "e" to read book

Now I just need to alter a few things. First off, actual text related to the story needs to be written and out in places. Secondly some GUItext to inform the player they should press "e" to open and close the book. And lastly perhaps an altered look for the book page itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment