Wednesday 3 December 2014

Winter Project - Making the player character hold a lantern

Now that I've finished coding the key and door I have a few options/routes to go down in terms of level development and coding.
  • Code the closing of doors (maybe not needed but would look nice and would just be a reversal of the quaternion code I used.
  • Sound/music (I have some clips in mind to use but perhaps need more development too the level first)
  • Picking up of the lantern (gameplay aspect)
  • Further modelling/level design (since I have redone my level I haven't actually got a lot of level yet)
  • Highlighting of intractable objects (needed due to clarify what is usable)
  • Detailing (This is a greybox project so this should be a lesser need

I decided to go forth with the lantern development idea. First I made a simple model in maya and then went searching for a nice fire script. This took a degree of time and once found had to be modified slightly. It is still a bit raw but is usable for now. It however needs some colour adjustment. 

I then created some code to allow the player to pickup the lantern. This is rather simple and does not allow the player to drop it. But I don't think that is needed at this stage. However if the need arises I shall just code it to drop from the players position. 



I remodeled the lantern due to something errors with materials in unity making the lights look rather bad and also to give a little more detail.

I finished coding the highlight aspect and have applied to the lantern, some fine tuning is still required as the highlight texture is a bit iffy. But since I don't know how it would interact with textures yet I shall leave this fine tuning till then.

I will now apply this to each object that can be interacted with. And try and change the opacity of it down a bit but we will see.



No comments:

Post a Comment