Friday 12 December 2014

Winter Project - December Hand In Progress

This post will talk about the stage the game was left at when handed in for the Winter Submission. This by no means suggests I won't be taking this unity project further, as I plan to add more to the level itself and bring the general quality of the level up in all ways. From scripting to texturing. There are many things I would want to add to my level but I am actually very happy with how it has turned out considering this was my first experience with coding, unity and modelling.
The games feel is supposed to be very dark and mysterious. With many unknown elements to it where the player is supposed to work out what to do from vague guidance. The project turned out to have a very amnesia feel to it which although not bad in itself, I was originally trying to avoid a horror game. Although in a way I suppose the atmosphere is more tense rather than a horror.

The mechanics of the game that I managed to implement were;
  1. The lantern travelling with the player
  2. The highlighting of intractable objects
  3. A decent level of script
  4. Sound
However I was close to achieving a few other points;
  1. Raycasts
  2. Intractable notes being drawn on the GUI - (I got this working in an earlier post but had a conflicting problem arise from it.
There were however a few areas I had planned to add but now will have to do at a later point;
  1. Cloth being blown by wind
  2. Ambient fog/particles
  3. Appropriate skybox
  4. More rooms to add a sense of clutter/environment
  5. A fade out at the end
The main point of this project was to learn and apply code. And I am rather pleased with my progress on this point. It took a bit of experimenting and ripping code apart but I feel I could actually code most things at a basic standard at least. Of course there are areas of my code which require refinement. An example of this would be the multiple static bools I use within my scripts. These should be replaced by getters and setters. Which I shall look into over the Christmas break.

The game itself turned out alright, with the level having something for the player to do in each area. And it seemed to funnel testers correctly without pointing them in an obvious direction too much. For my next project I need to develop this further, to give the player the illusion of more freedom without breaking away from the narrative line of development.

I really enjoyed this project and look forward to developing my unity and coding skills more and applying my increased maya texturing and modelling skills to this as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment