Thursday 26 March 2015

Autodesk Maya - Character Model Assignment

This main assessment task was the modelling of a cartoon-Esq character from a supplied model sheet. This task was interesting and a large challenge for me. Having a main focus on digital art and coding has left me with a lower skill level in regards to modelling than I am happy with. As such I tried to approach this assessment as a learning task to test my current skill level and improve upon it.
I started off with the feet and following the reference, of both the character and the low poly character model you can see to the side, I began creating the edge loops that I would take into forming the rest of the body. Starting from this area is a very interesting approach and allows you a step by step build up of the model. Initializing the model in sections and allowing a focus on topology for each section.


As I progress on the model I make sure to keep checking the smoothed version as a way to try catch any mistakes that might occur later on in the process of soothing the entire mesh. Creating the hips and pelvis was a hard task for me after I failed the first time and didn't loop the edges around correctly.




I was rather impressed with how my UV unwrapping turned out. It looks neat and every group came out distorted.
I did my textures using directx shaders which apparently cannot be rendered correctly so I have been unable to provide a rendered view. However I think it turned out okay considering my lack of modelling practice at the moment. I want to continue making characters and try and learn the creation of topology better, especially around the shoulders and face. 



No comments:

Post a Comment